Tuesday, April 12, 2011

In-memory databases and mobile business intelligence

I was looking at some results of a benchmark test MicroStrategy did on its product. The benchmark was about supporting large numbers of users. MicroStrategy is pushing into the mobile business intelligence business and it has identified (correctly in my opinion) user scalability as one of the key challenges in this area.

Anyway, the benchmark tests to see how MicroStrategy would do with up to 100K users or so. Impressively, (if not surprisingly, considering they ran the tests themselves) the product did well. They ran the test both in Linux and Windows.

There were two things I found intriguing about the test: The hardware configuration of the application server, (144 GB of RAM), and the fact that they allowed the system four hours to load the data into cache, which is basically an in-memory cube.

In other words the Oracle database that was holding the data probably wasn't working very hard during the actual test. It worked during the four hours of loading, and was probably done for the day. Most of the heavy lifting was going on in MicroStrategy's in-memory database solution.

I think this is what we should expect more and more in the future: large scale database solutions of this type will make use of the falling RAM prices to squeeze better performance out of their solutions. Mobile applications with large numbers of users will need in-memory technology.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your weblog and in accession capital to assert that I acquire in fact
enjoyed account your blog posts. Anyway I will be subscribing to your augment and even
I achievement you access consistently fast.

My blog :: Green coffee reviews

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. Keep writing such kind of info on your site.
Im really impressed by your site.
Hello there, You have performed a fantastic
job. I'll certainly digg it and personally suggest to my friends. I'm sure they will be benefited from this web site.



Look at my web blog Easy money

Anonymous said...

I think this is one of the most important information for me.
And i'm glad reading your article. But should remark on few general things, The website style is perfect, the articles is really excellent : D. Good job, cheers

Also visit my weblog: Loss weight now

Anonymous said...

Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your website
and in accession capital to assert that I get actually enjoyed
account your blog posts. Any way I will be subscribing to your feeds and even
I achievement you access consistently fast.

Feel free to surf to my web blog - Buy Xength X1

Anonymous said...

Very great post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to mention that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts.

After all I'll be subscribing on your feed and I'm hoping you write again soon!


Here is my weblog - Viarex

Anonymous said...

Thanks for any other magnificent post. Where
else may just anybody get that type of info in such an ideal method of
writing? I have a presentation next week, and I am at the look
for such information.

my homepage ... Enduros Male Enhancement Free Trial

Anonymous said...

I always used to study paragraph in news papers but
now as I am a user of net therefore from now I am
using net for content, thanks to web.

Money from home

Anonymous said...

This is my first time visit at here and i am really happy to read all at alone
place.

Also visit my web site :: Pur Essence Skin Care Formula

Anonymous said...

Yes! Finally something about skin care anti wrinkle cream.


Look at my web site :: Lift and glow pro reviews

Anonymous said...

Your style is unique compared to other people I have read stuff
from. Thanks for posting when you've got the opportunity, Guess I will just bookmark this site.

Look into my site: male enhancement

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I understand this is sort of off-topic however
I needed to ask. Does operating a well-established blog such as yours
take a large amount of work? I am completely new to blogging
but I do write in my journal daily. I'd like to start a blog so I will be able to share my experience and views online. Please let me know if you have any kind of recommendations or tips for new aspiring blog owners. Thankyou!

Check out my page :: Satiereal saffron extract

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment